Butternut squash is low in fat but high in many nutrients including vitamin A, Vitamin C, magnesium and potassium.
Butternut squash can be a great addition to any meal as a side, or incorporated into the main dish. I've roasted mine along side a pork chop in the photo to the left. I tried something different this time with my roasted squash. I tried adding a green apple!. It turned out great. Just a hint of bitter sweetness was added and took the squash to a whole new level. Let me tell you how I made this side dish.
I started with 2 sheet pans, and lined them both with aluminum foil. I preheated the oven to 400 F. Next I cut the butternut squash into chunks and divided it between the two pans. I then chunked one red onion and 2 green apples. Then, I divided them between the two sheets, also. Lastly, I drizzled Kasandrino's olive oil all over the both pans of vegetables and dusted salt and pepper and Balanced Bites Trifecta Spice blend all over. (You can add garlic powder or granules in place of the Trifecta.)
By: Kristi Goode https://lovelivinlowsugar.com/blog
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 65 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
1 medium butternut squash
1 large red onion
2 medium granny smith apples
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons of Balanced Bites Trifecta Spice Blend or garlic powder/granules.
Kasandrino's olive oil for drizzle
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Place aluminum foil to cover 2 sheets.
3. Remove skin and ends from butternut squash.
4. Chunk butternut squash into even squares about 1" x 1".
5. Peel and core the 2 apples. Then, chuck them as well.
6. Slice the red onion into 1/2" thick rings and separate the rings.
7. Divide all the veggies between the 2 sheet pans.
8. Drizzle both pans with olive oil.
9. Dust both of the pans with Sea Salt and Pepper.
10. Finally dust both pans with the Trifecta blend or garlic granules.
11. Place in oven and roast for 40-45 minutes checking to make sure the onions don't get too brown and mixing the vegetables and fruit around so as not to stick.