Servings: 8 small fritters (4 servings)
Base of recipe from: The Real Food Dieticians
· 4 cups shredded zucchini (about 2medium)
· 1/2 tsp. sea salt
· 2 whole eggs (preferably medium in size)
· 2 green onions, sliced (whites and midway up green parts)
· 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
· 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
· Dash of salt
· 1/4 tsp. pepper
· 1/4 cup flour of choice
· 1–2 Tbsp butter or ghee, coconut oil or butter for frying
1. In a bowl, place the shredded zucchini and 1/2 tsp. sea salt. Stir gently and let set for 10 minutes to allow zucchini to sweat. After the 10 minutes, transfer the zucchini to a paper towel or cheesecloth. Squeeze as much liquid out as you possibly can. This step is important and if skipped you may end up with soggy fritters.
2. In a separate bowl combine the eggs, green onions, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, additional sea salt, black pepper and flour.
3. Combine the squeezed shredded zucchini with the egg mixture and stir to combine. If the zucchini still holds a lot of moisture or eggs were on the larger side, you may need to add additional flour to achieve that pancake-like consistency.
4. Place a medium/large skillet on the stove over medium heat. Add butter/ghee to the skillet. Once hot (make sure the ghee is hot and sizzles when you add the batter) drop 1/4 cup portions of the zucchini mixture onto the pan. Press down gently so they’re about 1/2-inch thick.
5. Cook on each side for 3-5 minutes. Flip carefully so they don’t fall apart. When done, transfer to a wire rack or plate lined with a paper towel. Repeat until zucchini mixture is gone, adding more ghee to the pan between each batch.